Wednesday 19 July 2017

6 Nights in Rome, the Eternal City

Day 1: 

Arriving at FCO (Fiumicino Airport Terminal 3), I have already planned to take metro/subway towards the city, be sure you know your nearest metro station to your accommodation so you won't struggle looking for the metro map. So, in my case, I have my place booked at a monastery. (Yes, you read it right...there are many monasteries open for tourists stay regardless of your religion). Check out where I slept during my 6 nights in Rome https://itsallaboutfirsttime.blogspot.sg/2017/07/staying-at-monastery-in-rome.html

fco, rome airport, metro, subway, trains, MRT, italy
if you find this, you are on the right track towards the subway

fco, rome airport, metro, subway, trains, MRT, italy, tickets, biglietti, trastevere
I purchased my single trip ticket to Trastevere station at this booth
my metro ticket 
when you are seated, there's a small screen inside the train to view the stations where the train stops on top of the announcements every stops that you can hear too
After I check-in to my accommodation, settled in my room, unpacked a bit and slept for a few hours to recharge. The adventure starts from walking around my neighborhood to have a glimpse of my "home" for 6 nights. Afterwards, I headed to TREVI FOUNTAIN  https://itsallaboutfirsttime.blogspot.sg/2017/07/trevi-fountain.html

I prefer walking as I love to stop to whatever attracts my attention and of course, the first was the gelato shop. Imagine, the long walk and not having lunch yet since I arrived, I happily bought my first purchase in Rome and this was gelato!! haha
old bird gelato, rome, italy, gelato, pistaccio,
pistaccio gelato

old bird gelato, rome, italy, gelato, pistaccio, 
old bird gelato, rome, italy, gelato, pistaccio,

After finishing my gelato, I continued walking towards Trevi Fountain, however, my feet detoured me to walk pass through the Colosseum first. When I saw the glimpse of Colosseum from a far , I could not describe the feeling of total WOWness, if only I could scream the joy I felt, perhaps it could have reach Singapore (LOL, exaggeration). The AWEness of being able to see it in my own eyes for the first time was really indescribable. Further details on my Colosseum experience on Day 4 as I booked a tour for Colosseum with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. 

 


Also passed by at the National Monument to Victor Emmanuel II






Day 2:


Since it is a Sunday, for many Catholics, its a day to give thanks to our Lord by attending mass. So, I have searched the night before which church has an English mass, and the nearest for my place was Chisea Santo Spirito (Church of the Holy Spirit in the Saxon District). When I reached the place, almost an hour early before the 10 am mass, I have seen how the Parish priest tried to welcome warmly everyone walking around the church and giving the mass-book and having a short conversation. He is very humble considering a Monsignor of Vatican too. 



rome, chisea santo spirito, church of the holy spirit, english mass,

Church of the Holy Spirit in the Saxon District (ItalianSanto Spirito in Sassia) is a 12th-century titular church in RomeItaly. It is in Borgo Santo Spirito, a street which got its name from the church, placed in the southern part of Rione Borgo. The current holder of the titulus is Cardinal-Deacon Dominique Mamberti. It is the official sanctuary of Divine Mercy since 1994. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Spirito_in_Sassia




 rome, chisea santo spirito, church of the holy spirit, english mass,

rome, chisea santo spirito, church of the holy spirit, english mass,
inside the church

After the mass, I walk towards Vatican which is just 10 minute walk from the Church.



Papal Blessing - Pope on Sundays - Angelus

The other opportunity to see the Pope is on a Sunday at 12 noon when he is in Rome.
He will appear from the window of is apartment where he gives a short speech followed by the Angelus and ending with a blessing He may also greet the crowds in various languages and the whole event usually lasts around15-20mins. He will impart the Apostolic Blessing at the end of the prayer. http://www.papalaudience.org/information

Another indescribable feeling of hearing the Pope's voice for real, seeing a glimpse of him through the monitor. (Well, to see him in person was the best experience in my whole trip, this story is for another day during the Wednesday, Papal Audience).

Cick this short video of what I have seen on that day: https://youtu.be/_391M_WgOr0


After Vatican, I walk towards Pantheon but before able to reach Pantheon, you will walk pass a few more attractions, and one of which is the Castle of the Holy Angel or the Mausoleum of Hadrian (Roman Emperor), you will definitely not miss out this infrastructure, from a far. However, I did not bought the tickets beforehand and the line was so long so I did not entered the museum. 


ponte s. angelo, castel sant angelo, rome, italy,




 

ponte s. angelo, castel sant angelo, rome, italy,
the line outside

ponte s. angelo, castel sant angelo, rome, italy,



at Ponte S. Angelo
you will definitely need to walk to this bridge to cross towards the Pantheon as I was coming from Vatican

at Ponte S. Angelo

at Ponte S. Angelo

at Ponte S. Angelo
http://www.castelsantangelo.beniculturali.it/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel_Sant%27Angelo

 https://youtu.be/zwI2DT-4-cg














Piazza Navonna


Piazza Navona (pronounced [ˈpjattsa naˈvoːna]) is a piazza in RomeItaly. It is built on the site of the Stadium of Domitian, built in 1st century AD, and follows the form of the open space of the stadium.[1] The ancient Romans went there to watch the agones ("games"), and hence it was known as "Circus Agonalis" ("competition arena"). It is believed that over time the name changed to in avone to navone and eventually to navonahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_Navona



piazza navona, macdonalds

piazza navona, macdonalds






piazza navona, macdonalds




piazza navona, macdonalds


piazza navona, macdonalds

Now, if you need to find a toilet, go find MacDonalds, it is just a few steps from Piazza Navonna


piazza navona, macdonalds




this is what I ate, turkey bacon burger, unlike in Asia, Ketchup or any other gravy/sauce you want however need to pay extra for 0.50 cents Euro

order your meals here and input your number for your buzzer to be used when waiting for your queue -> that round thing at the right side of the machine


Now, next stop is the Pantheon....


most of the tourist attractions I visited will surely have police security in the vicinity, much more a police car that roams around the area



Pantheon


Entrance to the Pantheon is free, the line is long when I came but it moves quite fast, around 15 minutes waiting time only...here's my video: 





Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola/Chisea di San Ignacio


The Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola at Campus Martius (ItalianChiesa di Sant'Ignazio di Loyola in Campo MarzioLatinEcclesia Santi Ignatii a Loyola in Campo Martio) is a Roman Catholic titular church, of deaconry rank, dedicated to Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus, located in RomeItaly. Built in Baroque style between 1626 and 1650, the church functioned originally as the chapel of the adjacent Roman College, that moved in 1584 to a new larger building and was renamed the Pontifical Gregorian University.[1] The most recent Cardinal of the Titulus S. Ignatii de Loyola in Campo Martio was Cardinal Roberto TucciS.J.; he had been its Cardinal Deacon until he became its Cardinal Priest (i.e., opted for the order of cardinal priests, with this church being elevated "pro hac vice" to title). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Ignazio_Church,_Rome









This is the painting on the church's ceiling, really total WOWness, amazing art and still mesmerizes me whenever I see this photo. A must see with your own eyes to believe how great it is!








 

 





Day 3:

I started this day with a great local breakfast on my way to Vatican. What I like to my accommodation, it only takes 30 minutes to reach Vatican with the leisure of walking to these cobblestones roads I passed by this coffee shop named Cafe Lungara 1940 and thankfully I did stop by to take my first local breakfast in Rome at this shop. Very friendly staff that will greet you Buongiorno! :) This place is located between my walk from Trastevere and Vatican, the exact address is at Via della Lungara, 14, 00165 Roma RM, Italy. 

lungara cafe, rome, trastevere, capuccino

lungara cafe, rome, trastevere, capuccino

lungara cafe, rome, trastevere, capuccino, croissant, pane



lungara cafe, rome, trastevere, capuccino, croissant, pane
capuccino at 1.10 Euro

lungara cafe, rome, trastevere, capuccino, croissant, pane
pizza romana at 3 Euro

if you are on the go, eat at the counter/bar as extra charge of 2 Euros for cover/coperto charge when you use their table


Vatican Tour with Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica
Walks of Italy Tours
Price: Euro 69

I booked the above tour online and did not regret having the Vatican Tour with Walks of Italy. Well, I found this tour group randomly online and have read good reviews and had watch interesting videos too, hence I chose them amongst other tours that I saw. I would say quite good and will recommend it. Since, this is a walking tour, they will email you the meeting point. Be sure to come early in case you get lost on the way.

Guided tours will save your time waiting in the line as this definitely "skips the line." Your audio sets are distributed right before you enter the Museum, unlike for other tours, you will only received it inside the Museum where another waste of time to queue.

If you want further details of my experience with this tour, click this:  https://itsallaboutfirsttime.blogspot.sg/2017/07/vatican-museums-sistine-chapel-and-st.html




Day 4:

Tuesday's plan is to go for my pre-booked Colosseum Tour, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill with same tour group, Walks of Italy. Despite that, my morning is free to visit other places as the tour only starts at 3pm. 

First stop, at Rome's Pyramid. The Pyramid of Cestius (in ItalianPiramide di Caio Cestio or Piramide Cestia) is an ancient pyramid in RomeItaly, near the Porta San Paolo and the Protestant Cemetery. It stands at a fork between two ancient roads, the Via Ostiensis and another road that ran west to the Tiber along the approximate line of the modern Via della Marmorata. Due to its incorporation into the city's fortifications, it is today one of the best-preserved ancient buildings in Rome. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Cestius




Unfortunately, it was closed when I came..so, next time, be sure to take note of their opening hours




the Pyramid is easy to find as its just outside the Metro "Piramide" station





After the Pyramid, I decided to go to explore the Spanish Steps.  I decided to use the Metro as Spagna is quite far from my current location that time, moreover, Spanish steps is just outside the "Spagna" Metro station. So, its time to try the Metro for the first time. 

 This is how their Metro ticket machine looks like, it is quite easy to use, just make sure you change the language to English :O I purchased the 100 minutes journey which costs Euro 1.50 (this ticket is also valid for Tram use but be sure to first use it on Metro first to validate the time of use as well)


Spanish Steps around 1035AM



 












Chisea Della Trinita Dei Monti, spagna, spanish steps
look how bright, big and shiny the SUN
Chisea Della Trinita Dei Monti



the view from top





inside the church, I really love this candle holder (most of the churches they have this type to lit a candle, otherwise some churches are using the electronic candles)





selfie shot again, but look at the couple on the left, this is really an amazing background for pre-nup photos :)



spagna, rome, spanish steps,
now, walk across the Spanish steps is where you will find all the branded shops

spagna, rome, spanish steps, zara
for those who love to shop the branded items, this street is for you!


spagna, rome, spanish steps, zara

spagna, rome, spanish steps, zara
at Zara
 Now, its time to go to Colosseum for my tour.... further details on my other post -> https://itsallaboutfirsttime.blogspot.sg/2017/07/colosseum-tour-with-roman-forum.html



Day 5:

I am back again in Vatican, this is the 3rd time since I arrived in Rome. (1st was on Day 2 Sunday as it was near to the Church that I went for Sunday mass and the 2nd was on Day 3 Monday for my Vatican Tour). Nevertheless, I would say this is the highlight of my Vatican/Rome trip as I will be seeing Pope Francis. 

"Papal Audience are held on Wednesdays if the Pope is in Rome, giving pilgrims and visitors the chance to "see the Pope" and receive the Papal Blessing or Apostolic Blessing from the successor of the Apostle Peter during their visit."http://www.papalaudience.org/. The tickets are free, check out more on their official website http://www.papalaudience.org/tickets.html

Check out my other post for my experience in attending the Papal Audience -> https://itsallaboutfirsttime.blogspot.sg/2017/07/papal-audience.html




Piazza del Popolo

Piazza del Popolo is a large urban square in Rome. The name in modern Italian literally means "People's Square", but historically it derives from the poplars (populus in Latinpioppo in Italian) after which the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, in the northeast corner of the piazza, takes its name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_del_Popolo




Church of Santa Maria del Popolo


An astonishing experience I had when I visited Piazza del Popolo because a Russian girl tourist approached me if she could take a picture with me together. Since I arrived in Rome, she was the first or would I say the only tourist who requested to take selfie together. Initially I thought it strange, but I see her genuine request and her mother was waiting behind for her.



our photo together


we did not get our names, it was just a 5 minute acquaintance but who knows if I will meet her again someday in future? Nonetheless, this is the magic of traveling and getting out of your comfort zone. I'm truly amazed for her friendliness.


 




Bibliotheca Angelica












Basilica of St. Paul outside the Walls

The Papal Basilica of St. Paul outside the Walls (ItalianBasilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura), commonly known as St. Paul's outside the Walls, is one of Rome's four ancientPapalmajor basilicas,[Notes 1] along with the Basilicas of St. John in the LateranSt. Peter's, and St. Mary Major.


This Basilica is quite easy to locate as it is just outside the Metro station "Basilica of San Paulo." Line B or the blue line, just 2 stations away from the "Piramide" station












quite timely that, it is a day before the feast day of St. Paul when I visited 




























Day 6:

Last day in Rome before I head to Florence! How did I spent this day? I started to go up hill to have a panoramic view of Rome. 

On my way up hill to Faro degli Italiani d' Argentina,  I had to climb up these 69 steps before I could enjoy the scenic view uphill. However, it is totally worth it as the view was breathtaking!


On my mind was to see the Lighthouse of Manfredi ( Faro degli Italiani d' Argentina), but to my delight I have seen 2 attractions up in the hill: 1) Garibaldi Monument and 2) Manfredi Lighthouse


 

 
The equestrian monument dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi is an imposing equestrian statue placed in Rome on the highest point of the Janiculum hill on the square Piazza Garibaldi.


Panoramic view at Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi


















I sat on one of the benches at the Piazza and was enjoying the cool breeze of wind, the panoramic view of Rome, watching people passing by or running/jogging around, couples seated at one corner, and a few tourists enjoying the view too. The stairs I walked up here was nothing compared to the FREE captivating view my eyes can treasure! I really recommend you visit this Janiculum hill.


Afterwards, I walk further and finally have seen the Lighthouse of Manfredi....


AddressPasseggiata del Gianicolo, 00165 Roma RM, Italy





height is 20 metres
it says that the lighthouse was a gift to Italy by the Italians who migrated in Argentina




Again the Panoramic view from this side of th hill...












views from Piazzale Del Faro...






breathtaking view!



Next stop at San Giovanni dei Fiorentinni
San Giovanni dei Fiorentini is a minor basilica and a titular church in the Ponte rione of RomeItaly.
Dedicated to St. John the Baptist, the protector of Florence, the new church for the Florentine community in Rome was started in the 16th century and completed in early 18th and is the national church of Florence in Rome.












 


Its hard to remember all the churches as you walk...

Sant'Andrea della Valle is a basilica church in the rione of Sant'Eustachio of the city of Rome, Italy. The basilica is the general seat for the religious order of the Theatines. It is located on Piazza Vidoni at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele (facing facade) and Corso Rinascimento.

 
really like how the sunshine goes in through the church's windows























San Giacomo in Augusta 











San Giacomo in Augusta is a Baroque-style church built in central Rome, Italy.








Next church....

It is more correctly called Chiesa dei Santi Nomi di Gesù e Maria ("Church of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary"). The church was made a cardinalate deaconry by Pope Paul VI in 1967 with the confusing name of Santissimi Nomi di Gesù e Maria in Via Lata ("Most Holy Names of Jesus and Mary on Via Lata"). "Via Lata" is the old name of Via del Corso. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ges%C3%B9_e_Maria,_Rome










Gesù e Maria ("Jesus and Mary") is a Baroque church located on Via del Corso in the Rione Campo Marzio of central Rome, Italy. It faces across the street the similarly Baroque facade of San Giacomo in Augustahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ges%C3%B9_e_Maria,_Rome



Last stop before heading back to where I stay, is around my Trastevere neighborhood...

The Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere (ItalianBasilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere); English: Our Lady in Trastevere) is a titularminor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome, and one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43

the Church is currently having some renovations as obviously seen at the photo





Snippets from my Rome tour-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67mGpVH5_nQ&t=11s



Summary:

Day  1: Trastevere, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain,
Day2: Church of the Holy Spirit, Vatican, Castle of the Holy Angel, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola
Day 3: Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica
Day 4: Piramide, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill
Day 5: Vatican City, Piazza di Popolo, Bibliotheca Angelica,Basilica of St. Paul outside of walls
Day 6: Pizzale Giuseppe Garibaldi, Lighthouse of Manfredi, San Giovanni dei Fiorentini,  Chisea Parr San Salvatorre, St. Andrea della Valle Church, Caravita, San Giacomo in Augusta, Chisea Gesu e' Maria, Santa Maria di Trastevere

Disclaimer:
List of itinerary from days 1 to 6 is not complete as:
**on my walks, there are still a number of Basilicas or churches and piazzas that I stopped by, however I could not recall their names
**places that I visited to shop for food/snacks, souvenirs etc are not mentioned
**hopefully, did not mixed ups the photos with the different churches



TIPS:
  • do some readings online, watch some videos, blogs, vlogs to help for your planning
  • google maps the directions (I used the street view), at least I have familiarized myself or gave me some glimpse of the roads,directions...although during my trip I still got lost! haha
  • pre-booked your tours to skip the lines
  • be ready to get lost and find your way again
  • bring a pocket wifi and a power bank 
  • if its Summer, of course you know what to bring to protect yourself from the bright and shiny SUN e.g sunglasses, sunscreen lotion, bottled water
  • if you visit churches, be sure to bring something to cover your shoulders and kness



No comments:

Post a Comment